Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chase Several Hares and You Won't Catch One

Darren Ohl is moving to Eugene, Oregon. I am going to miss him. I hope he keeps being really funny, and a little bit twisted, and somewhat sentimental in a really even, and natural way. I hope he documents some of it in the book I made for him. To Eugene:
This is an old book I found in a vintage store in Orlando called DejaVu.It's a coptic bound book, bound inside out from the cover. The spine is cut as a buttonhole stitch, acting as a window, to a very limited amount of the book's secrets.
There's a ribbon to seal it closed, hopefully just masculine enough. The top of the saddle has leather above it, hopefully just western enough. I hope the composition is balanced. I hope the concept doesn't get stuck in the execution. I hope the execution doesn't end everything in a bloody mess, with too many onlookers. It wouldn't make sense. Not in this day and age.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

You inspire me to work more. You inspire me not to get lost or forget. You make me wince but in the most important, self-inflicting way. I don't care if you want to or not. What matters is that it is really important to me. Thank you always.

-Kyle

sandra said...

About coptic bound books and their glimpse of the structure: a perfect metaphor for how anything is made. How much is concealed. In this way, like body, and the skin that covers it. Revelatory. Enigmatic. Even in the envisioning, there's a sense of
prospect ... an accident on which you can capitalize. I love your website,
the ardent heart that created it.

sandra

Darren said...

I'm Darren. I saw this of all things in a search engine protocol test. Thank you for this book Chelsea. I have used it. It was a great present.

............ said...

Darren! What a coincidence. I hope you're well, in Oregon.

............ said...

and you're welcome! I am so glad it's been of use.